The Finnish Canadian Business Club visited research vessel Aranda, 15.9.2015
R/V Aranda is the third research vessel carrying the name with pride, and the fourth proper research vessel in the history of Finnish marine reseearch. The first vessel built for research purposes was S/S Nautilus which was in operation 1903 – 1939. Before that, already in the late 1800s, observations in marine science were made using several different state-owned ships. The modern Aranda was launched in Helsinki in June 1989. It is the first research vessel which is owned by the Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE), and Aranda’s home port is Helsinki. The length of the ship is 59,2 m, its beam 13,8 m and gross register weight 1734 GT. The ship accommodates a research staff of 25 persons.
Aranda is a modern, ice-reinforced research vessel. She was planned for Baltic Sea research, but in principle, she is able to operate in all seas. Aranda has made scientific expeditions i.e. to Antarctic waters and the Northern Atlantic. The vessel is adapted to year-round multidisciplinary marine research, including chemistry, biology, physics and geology of the sea. The well-equipped laboratories and advanced computer systems facilitate sample treatment and data analysis under way.
As a result of advanced automation the functions of the modern Aranda can be managed by a smaller crew (12 – 13) than its predecessors. The manouverability of Aranda has been dimensioned for demanding research work, the ship being able to stay exactly in position at a station with the aid of DGPS and DP systems. Aranda has the equipment to receive satellite and weather images, and its own versatile weather station. Drinking water can be produced out of seawater by an apparatus using reverse osmosis. As concerns research and safety to sea these installations are important on long cruises. For the purification of sewage, the ship has its own biological treatment plant. Its engines allow driving in either diesel or diesel-electric mode. There is enough power to drive in ice in the Baltic Sea.
Article was written by